Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Blog #1: Basecamp in New Hampshire

Hello, my name is Ila Astin,
I have the immense pleasure of working as the scribe for the winter portion of our 2017 Arctic Dreams semester! I will be keeping you all informed about what our group has been up to at Kroka and on trail over the coming months.

These past few weeks have been filled with exciting new adventures, new friends, and lots of song and laughter. We have been learning a lot and each day our community grows closer together.

“Fast paced adrenaline fueled fun!” - Connor
Preparation for Semester

Although we got fresh snow last week, it has since hardened making tough conditions for skiing. This gave answer to our question about the change from “Vermont” Semester to “Arctic Dream” semester. There simply isn’t enough consistent snow around New England to ski on. We heard that loud and clear when we strapped on skis and the loud crunching and scraping of ice under our skis’ metal edges vibrated in our eardrums. In spite of the fact that conditions weren’t great, we practiced our self-arrests (for slowing down on ice), herringbone (for going up steep, icy hills) and general ski control.  We spent much of the day outside watching as the dark clouds overhead dispersed and rays of winter sunlight lit up the icy trees in the distance, brightening everyone’s day.


Earlier on in the week we went to Mount Sunapee to get some downhill ski practice. With lots of help from our instructors Seth, Oliver, Lisl, and Stefan, we worked on snowplow, parallel turns and even some telemark turns.

Grant practicing control in icy conditions
At the beginning of this week we identified all the responsibilities we could think of for our time at base camp and on trail.  With help from our instructors, these ranged from the essentials like food and medic, all the way to music and bureaucrat.  We picked our top three choices, and a few days later it was announced, to drum roll, what each of us would be responsible for during the winter portion of our expedition. Here at Kroka Base Camp we have been working one-on-one with the staff as they advise us on our responsibilities and preparation before we leave. Later on in this blog I will list everyone's Big Job title.

Also in preparation for our upcoming expedition, Lisl has been instructing us in anorak sewing. Our anoraks are vibrant red over-jackets that will protect our other clothes from the wild outdoors, and act as the outermost shell of our layering for warmth. It is an enormous project, but we are working hard to get them done before Parent Day.  Many thanks to Lisl for her patience and help!
Lisl and Laszlo, with a half-sewn anorak
           
The Women’s March

We awoke very early the morning of Saturday, January 21st. After a sleepy nine-hour van ride we had finally arrived in Washington, DC.  To wake our minds we tied on our running shoes and headed out for a morning jog, the yellow thrum of city lights guiding our way. Stomachs growling and anticipation mingled with an excited rising in the group, we prepared for the day: the Women’s March on Washington. Packs filled, food eaten and signs in hand we buddied up and followed the swarm of people dressed in pink hats towards the front of the capital.

We felt that it was important for us to take part in the Women’s March to help bring change to a continuing social injustice issue, an issue felt strongly in this past year. There were marches throughout the world on the 21st, and even though Washington, DC is a far ways to travel, we wished to help the central march become an overwhelmingly large movement as a way to bring awareness, support and change during this historic time.
Hyim and Alessio singing in the march
            “Attending the Women’s March was very powerful. Experiencing the energy of hundreds of thousands of people standing in unison for change, love and peace gave my body and being a beautiful feeling. Waves of this energy and these feelings generated continuously throughout the crowd, making us one.” - Charly  
While nine of us were away in Washington, Sharon, Gil, Connor, and Grant held down the fort back at Kroka. They made sure the animals were fed, food was made and practiced skiing in the woods. They also cut a hole in the pond and went for an icy bath. 

Push ups and Poetry

Push-ups and Poetry is the part in our day when we mix our creativity with our strength building. Taking breaks in between crunches to write down brilliant words of wisdom.

Prompt: Why are you here?
“Equal parts aerobic madness and the chaotic search for the right words.”
-Sharon

(In this cast of characters, I have also included their big job for the winter months)





Grant: Gear and Camp Manager

I have joined this expedition to strengthen my connection with the natural world and our semester community, companions within the wilderness, and guardians among the stars.









Gil: Co-Navigator 

I am here to push myself, learn new things, and meet new people.







Zoe: Trail Food

I am here to learn all that I can, to grow as an individual and as a member of a community, and to foster a deeper connection to the natural world.




Julian: Kitchen and Water  

I am here to push my limits. To be challenged both physically and mentally to better my understanding of myself and purpose. But most of all, I am here to learn, and to gain a better perspective and vision on the what I would like to do with my young adult life going forward.













Connor: Energy Manager  

I am here to get a sense of what life is without technology readily available, as well as a physical preparation for the navy seals.






Charly: Bike and Ski Manager 

I am here to become more deeply aware of my connection with the earth and all of the beings and things that live here.




Alessio: Base Camp Food

I came here to challenge myself, the ultimate goal is unclear. I miss friends and family and hope they are healthy and safe. 







Sharon: Farm Manager 


I am here to grow into the best version of myself: rooted in responsibility and stretching towards the freedom of possibility.






Laszlo: Bureaucrat and Photographer

I am here to better myself as an individual as well as a member of a team










Ila: Scribe and Vehicle Manager


I am at to deepen my connection with myself and all the surrounds me.










Samuel: Sewing Manager

I am here to develop a strong sense of self, community, and connection with the natural world














Hyim: Co-Navigator  


I have always thought that Winter semester sounded fun so now that I’m older I am doing it.








Serena: Medic and Hygiene  

I am here with the help of some amazing people to try and figure out how our generation can grow into a sustainable society.





The next week will be filled with further preparations for our upcoming expedition: making knives, working on our big jobs, and skiing. I look forward to writing to you again soon before we leave!



Here are some more photos of what we've been up to these past two weeks:

Learning about contour lines using a micro landscape

Learning how to read USGS maps


Charly powering up an obstacle
Learning to balance on skates
Lisl helping Charly fix a seam
Lisl showing off the trim for the bottom of the anoraks
Sharon and Samuel dancing on ice
Gil showing the group the route in the Chic-Choc Mountains
Hyim leading us through the Green Mountain Expedition
Knitting by lamplight

No comments:

Post a Comment